Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Grammar and Style checkers

I decided to try Grammar and style checking software and spent a few days with research on the net and downloading some sample programs.

They all seemed to work but some like StyleWriter while very good are quite intrusive. I think using this program should be kept for the very end of the writing process. With one exception as new writer on my first novel attempt. I used the demo version after five chapters and its improved my writing by showing me all my mistakes and by fixing those mistakes improved my writing.

I thought I was so bad at writing after using this program because I scored so highly on "Bog Words" all the connecting words (like, and, so, used, I as,) etc. Then I ran several excerpts from some of my favourite authors though the software. Revelation I found good grammar but bad bog words and the first snippet from a multi award winning author had his character walking the "Parameters of the castle". This was id, as Mathematical Equitation. (Would have meant Perimeter of course). However when you put that in it chided me for vagueness and suggest I should say what was walked.

Oddly enough My conclusions were they get in the way and might remove the writers voice and personal style, The Diskworld novels were savaged by this program. So I have come down to choosing between RightWriter. Simple and on track, does what it claims and makes you think about what your writing and shows the potential mistakes, a good learning and review tool. But first choice for me Grammar Expert Plus, it picks up my punctuation problems, word usage but is not trying to standardise my writing style.

Oh and does anybody know how to get rid of WhiteSmokes viral component (Darn Programme)? Very well hyped and lots of informercial style adverts out there that appear to be reviews (Check how many reviews you can find for it in Google then see how many you can for the completion)? The asking price is seems high to me. I just purchased the basic General writing component version of WhiteSmoke at about $38 and 20mins later a salesman from the US is on my phone in Australia trying to up-sell me. Then he told me I had purchased a years subscription. Which was not what I thought I had. Hum I will update upon this this WhiteSmoke down the track.

No comments:

Post a Comment